I just renewed my WordPress domain mapping for another year and paid $13. I figured this was a good reason to actually update the blog and get my money’s worth.
Aaron installed the dishwasher two weeks ago! This has made our lives SO much easier. We’ve been doing dishes by hand since we moved in a couple of months ago. Not a fan. I did that the whole first year and a half of our marriage. I don’t ever want to go back. This new dishwasher works better than the one in our old house too.
Aaron works for a mortgage company and has been going to open houses in the area the last two weekends to try to meet real estate agents and people shopping for houses. I made chocolate chip cookies for him to take along the first weekend and then mini vanilla cupcakes this past weekend. I got two mini cupcake pans a few weeks ago at an estate sale for $1 each and wanted to try them out. I love them! I had been wanting those pans for a while but couldn’t justify paying full price. Definitely worth the $2 though. I made about 5 dozen minis. I doubled a recipe for 12 full-sized vanilla cupcakes and then made one large batch of vanilla buttercream.
I cut little flowers out of fondant and put a sugar pearl in the center of each.
Frosted with the Wilton 1M tip. These were fun to make and I’ll definitely be making them again. I just wish I had more than 2 mini cupcake pans now. I’ll have to look out for some more at yard/estate sales.
On Tuesday, Aaron had surgery on his deviated septum and has been resting up and recovering this week. He’s currently camped out on the couch with gatorade and a bag of prunes. Poor husband. Hopefully he’ll be feeling better in a day or two!
Two weekends ago, Aaron and I got up early on a Saturday morning and went to 2 estate sales in Mt. Lebanon. I don’t think we got anything at the first one but at the second one I found these lovely stools in the garage of the house. I was so excited!! I’ve been stalking craigslist for weeks trying to find stools for the kitchen. I saw them at the sale, went and found a measuring tape in the garage at the sale and measured the height. They were about 2 inches taller than I was planning but we decided to go for them anyway.
They were $15 each and they’re from Pottery Barn. They’re sturdy and solid wood. They were seriously dirty though. They were covered in dust and the cushions were gross.
I went out to Jo-Ann Fabric to get some new upholstery fabric and found a clearance fabric for $9 a yard. Of course I didn’t measure the seats and the ladies at Jo-Ann cutting the fabric looked at me disapprovingly when I asked them how much they thought I would need to cover two stools… I ended up with 3/4 of a yard.
Then I went to Home Depot to pick out spray paint for the chairs. I almost got the Rustoleum Primer + Paint spray in gloss but then saw this Lacquer and decided to go with that. I’ve never used lacquer before but it said it would result in a very hard, durable, factory-like finish. Plus it was half the price of the other Rustoleum.
Aaron unscrewed the cushions for me and I cleaned the chairs. I didn’t do any sanding before painting. The Lacquer has the old school tiny spray nozzle which turned out to be horribly uncomfortable because I ended up having to spray paint for about 1.5 hours straight. It turns out that the lacquer runs/drips REALLY easily. You have to do the thinnest coats or else you’ll have drips in a second. Plus it doesn’t cover very well until you’re about 5 coats in.
After lots and lots of spray painting, the chairs started to look really good. The lacquer dries very quickly so I could just do the coats one after another without stopping. I ended up using two cans total – one on each chair. I would have liked to have another can for some touch ups but 2 was all I had.
I recovered the cushions with my new fabric (I’m on a navy and white kick), and after letting the chairs dry for a day, Aaron screwed the seats back on for me.
We love them! The lacquer is way harder to work with than regular spray paint but the finish is amazing. It doesn’t even look like they’re painted plus it feels really durable. I’m not really concerned about chipping as much as I normally would be because the finish seems very hard.
Here’s a close up of the fabric:
Cost for this project:
- 2 stools – $15 each
- 3/4 yard fabric – $7
- 2 cans of lacquer – $8
Total = $30
This past weekend I did some more spray painting. I have to get some pictures of those things and then hopefully post about it. I did attempt to spray paint a lamp shade. It didn’t really work out… It looks okay with the light off but when you turn the lamp on, it’s all splotchy.
On the agenda for this weekend… putting up doors on our bedrooms. We’re currently doorless because we threw away all the old doors before the floors were refinished. Aaron will probably work on that and I’ll hopefully finish painting our bedroom and get the extra bedroom ready for my mom’s visit next weekend. We have the baby shower next weekend! I’ll be 33 weeks on Saturday. I can’t believe we’re only 7 weeks away. Baby very soon!